Sunday, May 18, 2014

Highland Bakery - Atlanta Edition

Every time I travel out of NY, I try to hit up a local bakery that the locals love.  Atlanta is most famous for being the birthplace of Coca Cola and the Braves.  Now I have to preface this by saying that having never been to Atlanta before, and not renting a car while I was there, my options for a blog review were limited to spots within walking distance of my meetings and hotel.

I came across Highland Bakery, known for their all-day southern brunch (complete with jalapeño cheddar grits!), freshly baked biscuits, and baked goods.  I stopped in to pick up treats for my meeting, and of course a cake pop for myself!

The website highlights the fact that they use chemical-free grains.  Having just completed a 30-day Paleo challenge, I definitely was happy to know that this dessert would be on the safer side.

There were an assortment of muffins, cupcakes, tarts and pies to choose from, but I opted for the cake pops. They had red velvet, rocky road and vanilla.  I got the rocky road and gave the others to my clients, who confirmed that Highland was a good choice and enjoyed their pops!





My cake pop was dense and about double the size of the cake pops I'm used to (i.e. the ones sold at Starbucks).  It was coated in a thick chocolate with a marshmallow on top.  At $2.50 per pop, this was a nice affordable mid-day treat.

There are 5 locations of Highland Bakery throughout Atlanta, in Midtown, the Old Fourth Ward, Buckhead, GA Tech Campus and Emory University.  They all closer at different times but most around 5pm so get there earlier in the day.  I went to the Midtown location at 1180 Peachtree Street, which seemed to be smack in the middle of the city (or at least the places I was going!)

http://highlandbakery.com

No comments:

Post a Comment