Sunday, March 30, 2014

Zipadee Do Mah-Ze-Dar - My oh My What a Brownie!

Mah-Ze-Dar can typically be found selling coffee and pastries outside of the High Line Hotel at  Intelligentsia on 10th Avenue and W20th street.  On the day that I ventured over pre-Chelsea Market and West Village brunch, the outdoor area was closed due to rain and cold weather, so inside the hotel I ventured to the coffee bar.  Mah-Ze-Dar makes all sorts of wonderful looking desserts, including coconut bread, chocolate chip cookies, magic dessert bars, croissants, and, what brought me all the way over to 10th Avenue on a rainy day, brownies.


Now when I first walked in and saw the brownie I realized it looked familiar; the 'wichcraft in the office building on 26th & 11th definitely sells the Mah-Ze-Dahr brownies.  I thought I had remembered seeing the name when I was in there, but when I saw these brownies up close they were definitely one and the same, despite the girl behind the counter swearing this was the only place they were sold. Lies!

And here's your dose of chocolate knowledge.  In Urdu, the word mazedar describes the taste essence of food, its flavor and magic that make it delicious.  This one word captures the life of a taste experience, unique to each person but cohesive in its stories. It represents something that one cannot describe but wants to experience over & over again.  Conceived, built and run by lovers and purveyors of food, Mah-Ze-Dahr Bakery transports the curious on a delectable journey of mystery and desire that will elevate the baked good to a piece of comforting decadence that can be experienced every day.  Like the meaning of Mah-Ze-Dahr, the bakery is a culmination of years of traveling the world and experiencing people through their food, decades of culinary and restaurant experience, and the staunch belief that what you eat changes who you are.

Now I will say, this was one of my top brownies.  It was cakey and had giant dark chocolate chunks throughout.  There was a sprinkling of powdered sugar on top, and the edge on the pan side was crisp and delicious.  At $3.50 a piece, between the fantastic taste and large size, this was simply perfect.  Guest blogger of the day Adam and I split it, and we were beyond satisfied.  I would love to go back to try some of their other treats.  I also loved their mission statement relating brownies to travel and experiences, because food is definitely a big part of the travel experience, and to be able to capture a smell, a taste; something that can bring you back to a place....such a great concept.  So if this brownie is what the Middle East is like, count me on the next flight to Agrabah.







Intelligentsia is located outside (or inside in bad weather!) at the High Line Hotel, 180 10th Ave at W 20th street.  Next time you're taking a walk on the High Line, or to Chelsea Market (or at the Wichcraft on 26th & 11th!, fellow Under Armour employees!), or to Artichoke - stop in. Trust me, it's worth it.  Look at Adam's face, he was beyond himself with excitement.  Guest blogger of the day Adam says: "It tasted like a cake! And was sweet but not overpoweringly so."
If you can't make it, you can order them here:
http://mahzedahrbakery.com/shop/

No comments:

Post a Comment