Monday, November 18, 2013

Treat House - Rice Krispie treats enjoyed by all


Who doesn't love Rice Krispie treats?  As a child of the 80s and someone whose parents were of the first to obtain a 'Price Club' membership before Kirkland was a household name, we had those shiny blue Snap, Crackle and Pop wrappers by the dozen - chocolate drizzle, rainbow, chocolate chunk - I have a special place in my heart for RK treats.

Until they started making me sick.  To be fair, a lot of things were making me sick before I was aware of my gluten/soy/life allergy.  But who would think that Rice Krispie treats WEREN'T gluten-free?!  After all, rice is the preferred carb of choice by celiacs everywhere.  Well, sorry Kellogg's, but you're not getting any love from me on this one.  When I learned that malt flavoring was one of the ingredients in Rice Krispies cereal, and soybean oil was thrown in as a binding ingredient - they were wiped from my list of snacks that I can eat guilt and pain-free.



So you can imagine my excitement when I first heard about Treat House opening up on the Upper West Side.  Treat House makes Rice Krispie treats in dozens of flavor combinations; and nearly all are gluten-free, dairy-free, nut-free and Kosher.  So basically, unless you're allergic to rice or marshmallows, you're good to go!

Each mini square is flavored, colored and topped with a different theme: birthday cake, chocolate mint, M&Ms, cookies and creme, pink bubble gym, chocolate peanut butter - they were all beautifully decorated and I couldn't decide which to try.  I tried to elicit a recommendation from the woman behind the counter, but she wasn't super helpful.  She seemed annoyed that I asked for a recco, and unfortunately even though I mentioned I was writing for the blog, she didn't seem to care to help me find the best RK treat.  Her attitude aside, I opted for the M&M and the chocolate mint.  At $2.25 apiece, two was just the right amount - the squares were on the small side, and the cost was definitely more than I was expecting.  But once you label something gluten-free, you know how it goes.

They came boxed in mini containers that perfectly fit each square.  The M&M was a bit bland; it didn't stand out with a thin layer of marshmallow and a sprinkling of mini M&Ms.  The chocolate mint was much better though; there were little pieces of mint chocolate chips throughout the rice krispies.  With a layer of chocolate on top and a wedge of York peppermint patty completing the treat, this was absolutely excellent.  I wish they were a bit larger, since it was gone in 3 bites, but I suppose that means I'd just have to get more next time.

Treat House is located on 452 Amsterdam Avenue between West 81st and 82nd street. They're open Monday-Wednesday 7:30am-9pm
Thursday-Friday 7:30am-10pm
Saturday 9am-10pm
Sunday 9am-9pm

http://www.treathouse.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment